IKEA bulbs & dimmers work with a Philips hue hub
they work together but not everything is possible
As an early adopter I’ve come to feel that Philips Hue lighting system gains more praise than it needs as I find a dozen other makers of pretty good bulbs. I was one of the fools that bought a kit when it was sold exclusively at the Apple Store. Three bulbs for £170? No more that – but now I’ve got that off my chest I’ll be useful:
IKEA’s own smart bulbs and gadgets cost much less than Philips’. IKEA’s Tradfri bulbs also share the same Zigbee protocol used by Philips Hue and this ensures objects interoperate to some degree. You won’t need the Tradfri hub for the minimal setup I describe here.
this is what works together
- A Philips hue hub with any reasonable number of Philips hue bulbs
- No IKEA Tradfri gateway.
- IKEA Tradfri bulbs. Add them to the Philips hue hub using the hue app
- The IKEA Tradfri remote dimmer is able to control hue and ikea bulbs. But don’t use the app for this, instead you must a) pair the Tradfri dimmer with the Hue bridge b) pair the Tradfri dimmer with each bulb in turn.
- Ideally turn off all your bulbs at the mains. Install the Hue and Me app and find the Touchlink button in the app
- Underneath the IKEA remote press the set button four times quickly and wait a few seconds. Hold the remote next to the Philips hue hub. Hold down the IKEA remote set button and press the Touchlink button in the app. The remote should briefly glow.
- Turn on the bulb to be controlled at the mains and put the remote right next to it, holding down its pair button. Keep holding the button until the bulb stops flashing.
- Repeat for each bulb you want to control or dim. Hereon, the dimmer will turn them all on, dim or off in one press. The Hue and Me app can be removed – though you might find it adds value.
Credit – for more detail see https://redsilico.com/blog/ikea-tradri-remote-with-hue-hub