Report from Ecological Society of America conference – 105science
Report from the Ecological Society of America conference in Portland, USA by the Science Show’s Chris Creese. This show features a chat with ‘critical transitions’ expert Marten Scheffer (Netherlands) covering big ideas from his book and a new film collaboration with artist Tone Bjordam.
We also look at two innovative projects where everyday folk and travellers can participate in collecting data needed for ecology research. Chris Creese talks with Jake Weltzin of the National Phenology Network (USA) and Brendan Weiner from ‘Adventurers and Scientists for Conservation’ about how we can all participate in science.
- “Critical Transitions in Nature and Society” by Marten Scheffer – Lecture on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dchpy7vuDR0
- Marten Scheffer’s book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Critical-Transitions-Nature-Society-Complexity/dp/0691122040
- Preview ‘”Critical Transitions” the film by Tone Bjordam and Marten Scheffer http://vimeo.com/46894799 and learn more from Tone’s website http://www.tonebjordam.com/
- Going outdoors or on holiday? Adventurers and Scientists for Conservation will show you how you can help scientists by collecting data http://www.adventureandscience.org
- Exploring the USA? Sign into ‘Nature’s Notebook’ to track the phenology of plants and animals: http://www.usanpn.org/how-observe. Track phenology in the UK by signing into Nature’s Calendar at http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk
NEXT SCIENCE SHOW is on Saturday 8th September at 2:30pm on Cambridge 105FM. For a reminder, follow us on twitter @105science Email news and your science questions to SCIENCE@CAMBRIDGE105.FM
EVENT: Managing your home heating by Transition Cambridge – Thursday 06 September 2012, 19:30-21:00 at United Reform Church http://talks.cam.ac.uk/