sync Huawei Health watch data into Google Fit; Google Drive or fitness tracker apps like Strava
see the list of ways to sync all your Huawei watch data to other fitness apps
SUPPORTED APPS as of 2022
SOURCES: you can send your health data starting from Coros, Diabetes:M, Fitbit, Garmin, Google Fit, Withings Health Mate, InBody, Oura, Polar, Samsung Health, Suunto and Huawei Health.
DESTINATIONS: you can then synchronise this data with to Diabetes:M, Fitbit, Google Fit, Samsung Health, FatSecret (weight only), Runalyze, Smashrun or Strava.
FORMATS: Activity data can also be synced as FIT, TCX or GPX file to Google Drive.
In the run up to 2022 Huawei had an impressive line of smartwatches and fitness bands at attractive prices. Unlike Google’s Wear OS smartwatches, the Huawei watch can deliver up to two weeks of usage while measuring my pulse.
I succumbed to buy a Huawei smartwatch. It didn’t bother me that the Huawei watches and the Huawei Health app on my phone wouldn’t totally integrate with Google and Android. My gain was that for the first time, my pulse, sleep, exercise and location were recorded effortlessly by this Huawei GT2e.
But then I found that I could see all my Huawei data in other apps including Google Fit. That is what this page aims to show how to do. I set Huawei Health to send the watch data to an app called Health Sync. By acting as a go-between, Health Sync then sends data to Google Fit.
When I tried to send data from Huawei health directly to Google Fit, I find that Google (as of December 2021) has blocked the Huawei app with the message ‘This app is blocked”. Health Sync works round this.
set up your Huawei ID on a web page
While your new watch is charging I suggest you use a laptop to first register a Huawei ID at https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/account/. There are numerous hurdles in this process so it helped to have a keyboard and mouse to do this. You’ll eventually have the following.
- An email address and a password to login with
- A mobile number associated with the account
- A security phone number (your mobile number) to receive verification texts
- A security email, a different email from the login email to receive verification messages
- An easier way to login – using Third Party credentials eg the same Google login used as your phone account
set up a Huawei watch (2020/2021), with your Huawei ID in the Huawei Health app
Go to the Google Play Store and get the Huawei Health app. This app, despite having a muddle of different places for settings, does eventually make sense and present your data beautifully. Do stick with it. Log in to the app with your Huawei ID and respond to perhaps numerous SMS messages to verify that you is you.
Turn on the watch and pair it in the Devices tab of Huawei Health according to any directions… but try the corner icon in 2 below to Add a device or Scan a device QRcode.
enjoy setting up your watch
There are a few things to play with before we set up the data transfer:
- Install any updates for the Huawei Health app and the watch
- Install the Huawei app store to find the Huawei Health kit.
- Give Huawei Health the permissions it needs to get data from your phone (4)
- Reorder or remove Health screen activities (3) and adjust watch settings on the Device screen (2)
- Install useful watch faces. The Gallery watch face is special as you can add your own photo as a watch background.
- Adjust watch settings such as Display > Standby Watch face; Favorite menu items; choice of Workouts; shortcut for the Down button.
- Swipe down for the quick menu, swipe up to see Notifications. Swipe left to go back, swipe right to scroll through watch features. Press the Up button to see the watch, press it again to see the app menu
- Start a workout as follows: Down button: scroll to choose an exercise; press the centre of the screen to start the workout. Remember to stop the workout later on by pressing Up button and choosing (X)
- Go to Privacy Management (5) and turn on as much as you need (6).
setup Health Sync
It may eventually be possible to sync directly to Google Fit. You may see the option below (7) but so far, when chosen, I see the message ‘This app is blocked’. The alternative is to install Health Sync (8). After a trial period the cost seems tiny compared to the price of a smartwatch.
Open Health Sync and follow numerous directions. You first choose a data source (Huawei Health) and then choose the destination for the data. I chose Google Fit and Google Drive. If you have agreed all the required permissions the green circle will indicate that your health data is being transferred as it is created. You need also to turn OFF data tracking within the Google Fit app. That’s OK because the Huawei watch is providing your health data as well as GPS location.
If you also chose Google Drive as a destination, the Health data will appear in a folder called Health Sync Activities. You can import the GPX file into Google Maps > My Maps. The TCX file is an alternative to GPS. The FIT file is probably a Garmin format.
disable Battery Optimization
Android has a Battery Optimisation feature will will likely turn off the connection between the watch and Huawei Health and more. If you feel that sometimes the app isn’t synchronizing as desired, consider turning OFF battery optimisation. Try one or both and decide which is good for your battery.
you always have access to your data in the Huawei app
The raw data collected by Huawei Health is tucked away under Data Source Management. Chose this and you can drill down into your data as shown below.