sync Huawei Health watch data into Google Fit; Google Drive or fitness tracker apps like Strava
In the run up to 2022 Huawei had an impressive line of smartwatches and fitness bands at attractive prices. So I succumbed to buy a Huawei smartwatch. Explained below is how we can work round the fact that the Huawei watches, Huawei Band and the Huawei Health phone app only partly integrate with ios, Google and Android. With the Huawei devices my gain was that for the first time, my pulse, sleep, exercise and location were recorded effortlessly.
And while my preference is to have fully compatible tech such as a Google’s Wear OS smartwatch, it fails on one key point: a Google Wear watch only last a day or two before needing a recharge. The Huawei watch manages two weeks of usage while measuring my pulse, sleeps and naps. In real life, using other features, the Huawei lasts a week and that’s very happy making.
you CAN sync all your Huawei watch or Smart Band 6 data to other fitness apps
Huawei Health is the app to use with Huawei devices. It’s pretty good but you might have a legacy of experience or data in another fitness app. For example, I use the Google Fit app as a central hub for recording my everything – so I need Huawei Health to send its data to Google Fit. That’s described on my page here
At first it seemed that Google wouldn’t talk to Huawei but I found that an app called Health Sync could receive and send all my Huawei data to many other apps listed below. By acting as a go-between, Health Sync sends data to Google Fit. As of December 2021 IGoogle blocked the Huawei app with the message ‘This app is blocked”. No worries: Health Sync is made to work round this.
Health Sync (2022) exchanges fitness data between these apps
- DATA COLLECTION APPS: Health Sync accepts health data from Coros, Diabetes:M, Fitbit, Garmin, Google Fit, Withings Health Mate, InBody, Oura, Polar, Samsung Health, Suunto and Huawei Health.
- DATA DESTINATION APPS: Health Sync can then synchronise this data with to Diabetes:M, Fitbit, Google Fit, Samsung Health, FatSecret (weight only), Runalyze, Smashrun or Strava.
- DATA EXPORT FORMATS: Health Sync can export your data as FIT, TCX or GPX file to Google Drive.
it’s a bit easier to create your Huawei ID on a web page
While your new watch is charging I suggest you use a laptop to first register a Huawei ID at https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/account/. And if you typically sign in using a Google or Microsoft login, do that here. Because you sign in a few times it helps to have a laptop and keyboard to do this, but you could use the phone. You’ll eventually have the following.
- an email address and a password (your Huawei ID) to login to Huawei Health
- a mobile number associated with the account
- a mobile number (security phone number) to receive verification texts
- optional: a security email, a different email from the login email to receive verification messages
- optional: an easier way to login – using Third Party credentials eg the Google or Microsoft login you use as your phone account
set up a Huawei watch with your Huawei ID in the Huawei Health app
Go to the Google Play / Apple app Store and get the Huawei Health app. This app, despite its muddle of different places, does eventually make sense and present your data beautifully so do stick with it. Log in to the app with your Huawei ID and respond to numerous SMS messages to verify that you is you.
Turn on the watch and pair it in the Devices tab of Huawei Health according to any directions… but try the corner icon in 2 below to Add a device or Scan a device QRcode.
first enjoy setting up your watch before you set up sync
There are a few things to play with before setting up the Health sync and data transfer:
- Install any updates for the watch and the Huawei Health app
- Install the Huawei app store to install Huawei Health kit.
- Give Huawei Health the permissions it needs to get data from your phone (image 4)
- Reorder or remove useful Health screen activities (3) and adjust watch settings on the Device screen (2)
- Install useful watch faces. The Gallery watch face allows to add your own photo as a watch background.
- Adjust watch settings such as Display > Standby Watch face; Favorite menu items; choice of Workouts; shortcut for the Down button (if present).
- Swipe down on the watch for the quick menu, swipe up to see Notifications. Swipe left to go back, swipe right to scroll through watch features. Press the Up button to see the watch, press it again to see the app menu
- Start a workout as follows: Down button: scroll to choose an exercise; press the centre of the screen to start the workout. Remember to stop the workout later on by pressing Up button and choosing (X). On the smartband use the single button
- Go to Privacy Management (5) and turn on as much as you need (6).
setup Health Sync to work with your Huawei watch or fitness Band
One day it may eventually be possible to sync directly to Google Fit. You may see the option below (7) but so far, when chosen, I see the message ‘This app is blocked’.
The workaround is to install Health Sync (8). After a trial period the cost seems tiny compared to the price of a smartwatch.
Open Health Sync and follow all directions. You will choose a data source (Huawei Health) and then choose the destination for the data. I chose Google Fit and Google Drive. If you have agreed all the required permissions the green circle will indicate that your health data is being transferred as it is created. You need also to turn OFF data tracking within the Google Fit app. That’s OK because the Huawei watch now provides your health data, GPS location and so on.
If you also chose Google Drive as a destination, the Health data will appear in a folder called Health Sync Activities. You can import the GPX file into Google Maps > My Maps. The TCX file is an alternative to GPS. The FIT file is probably a Garmin format.
disable Battery Optimization of each apps if required
Android has a Battery Optimisation feature will will likely turn off the connection between the watch and Huawei Health. If you feel that sometimes the app isn’t working as desired, consider turning OFF battery optimisation. Try one or both and decide which is good for your battery.
you always have access to your data in the Huawei app
The raw data collected by Huawei Health is tucked away under Data Source Management. Chose this and you can drill down into your data as shown below.